Buy car rental excess insurance

call me


For full details on all questions please refer to the policy's PDS for:
New Zealanders and Internationals inbound (Domestic Policy PDS) or New Zealands outbound (International Policy PDS)

1. What do you cover?

Tripcover covers the excess liability, up to the selected value of $4000, for theft and the following:
  • Multi vehicle accidents and single vehicle accidents (SVA)
  • Cracked or damaged windscreens
  • Tyres, wheels and undercarriage damage
  • Overhead damage
  • Lights damage
  • Covers all the eligible age drivers listed on the car rental agreement.
  • Bumpers and trim (excludes normal wear and tear which is covered by car rental company).

2. What is Car Rental Excess Reimbursement Insurance?

The Tripcover car rental excess insurance covers the excess fees for your car rental damage plus some usual exclusion such as single vehicle accidents (SVA), cracked windscreens, flat tyres, lights, undercarriage and overhead damage.The Allianz Global Assistance rental vehicle excess insurance product that Tripcover sells, provides cover for excess reimbursement. So if there is damage to the rental vehicle and you are charged an excess/liability amount by the rental company, you can submit a claim to be reimbursed for the excess amount you were charged.

3. Who underwrites Tripcover?

Tripcover is managed by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 (Incorporated in Australia) trading as Allianz New Zealand

4. How do I make a claim?

To find out more about claims visit our claims tips page or call Australia Customer Service: 0800 630 117

5. Can I cancel my policy any time before I travel?

Tripcover's 14 Day Money Back Guarantee - If you decide that you do not want this policy, you may cancel it within 14 days after the issue of your Certificate of Insurance and Policy Wording, simply call 0800 630 117 or email us at email us at and we can cancel your policy and refund your credit card. You will be given a full refund of the premium you paid, provided you have not started your journey and you do not want to make a claim or to exercise any other right under the policy.

6. Can I use Tripcover for campervans?

Yes on vehicles up to 4.5 Tonne and up to $4000 excess.

7. Does the policy cover ALL drivers on the car rental agreement?

The policy covers the eligible aged authorised drivers (sometimes rental companies includes spouces) or drivers that are listed on the rental agreement.

8. Can I purchase a policy for a single day?

Yes - you do not need to buy a minium number of days.

9. I am from overseas, can I use your site to reduce my excess in New Zealand?

No, at present the policy is only for New Zealanders travelling in New Zealand and for New Zealanders renting cars overseas.

10. What happens if I need to modify my policy?

To modify your policy call the following phone number 0800 630 117 quoting your policy number that is on your certificate of insurance emailed to you. Alternatively you can email us at and we can cancel your existing policy and issue you with a new policy.

11. How much does Tripcover cost?

Our just launched rates are suited to long and short term rentals. Our rates reduce slightly over 15 day rental and down to $12.19. Another great advantage to using Tripcover is that you can buy a policy for a single day for NZD $15.00 leaving a $0 excess. Rates reduce as the number of rental days increase.
  • Plan NZ: from NZD $12.15 to NZD $15.00 per day - Covers up to $4000 for rental vehicle excess reduction with $Nil excess.
  • Plan Int: from NZD $12.15 to NZD $15.00 per day - Covers up to $4000for rental vehicle excess reduction with $Nil excess.

12. Does the policy cover damage including windscreens, multi & single vehicle accidents (SVA), tyres, lights, & undercarriage?

Yes our policy covers the excess fees including: cracked windscreens, headlights and tyres (WHT) and single vehicle accidents (SVA), multi vehicle damage, overhead and undercarriage damage.

13. What payment methods does Tripcover accept?

We only accept Visa and Mastercard on our website however you can also use our client service call centre on 0800 630 117. All payments are in NZ dollars.

14. Are there any location restrictions?

If you are a New Zealand resident, your Tripcover car rental excess insurance can be used anywhere throughout New Zeland, Australia and Worldwide or in your local suburb with no expectations for you to "travel". However there may be limitations as per your rental agreement in driving on unsealed roads or in snow fields for example.

15. What insurance do I need when renting a car?

In New Zealand most car rental companies include CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) with an excess of up to $3300. Car rental companies don't use the word "insurance" so it is called CWD (Wikipedia). The policy available from Tripcover reduces this excess down to $Nil for $15.00 per day. The car rental companies offer excess reduction at between $22 to $35 per day at pickup, at their rental desk. However, in the event of an accident your credit card will be charged by the car rental company and you then claim the reimbursement from Allianz Global Assistance.

16. Single and Multi trip cover?

When you use Tripcover you are only covered for the duration of your rental agreement with the car rental company. For every rental agreement you get you will need another Tripcover policy. We do not have Multi Trip / Annual cover at present.

17. Why buy from Tripcover and not at the car rental desk?

Our policy is a lot cheaper, covers all of your eligible aged drivers on the rental agreement and also covers the vehicle body damage, theft including windscreens, overhead and undercarriage damage, single and multi vehicle damage. You can also get a 5% discount if you use your NZ frequent flyer number (7 digits).

This insurance is issued and managed by AGA Assistance Australia Pty Ltd ABN 52 097 227 177 (Incorporated in Australia) trading as Allianz Global Assistance and is underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 (Incorporated in Australia) trading as Allianz New Zealand. You should consider the Policy Wording before making any decisions about this insurance. AMIBRO Pty Ltd ABN 90 098 221 580 trading as Tripcover arranges this insurance as agent of Allianz Global Assistance. For further information on Allianz Australia Insurance Limited’s financial strength rating, please refer to the Financial Strength Rating and Overseas Policy Holder Preference Disclosure Notice.