Customer Service: 0800 800 048

Low cost car rental excess insurance. *Now we cover ALL overseas visitors to NZ


Home   >   FAQs

For full details on all questions please refer to the Policy Wording (PW) for:
New Zealanders (Domestic Policy PW) or New Zealands outbound (International Policy PW)


1. What do you cover?

Tripcover covers the excess liability, up to the selected value of $6000 (depending on age) for theft and the following:
  • Multi vehicle accidents and single vehicle accidents (SVA)
  • Cracked or damaged windscreens
  • Tyres, wheels and undercarriage damage
  • Overhead damage
  • Lights damage
  • Covers all the eligible age drivers listed on the car rental agreement.
  • Bumpers and trim (excludes normal wear and tear which is covered by car rental company).

2. What is Car Rental Excess Reimbursement Insurance?

The Tripcover car rental excess insurance covers the excess fees for your car rental damage plus some usual exclusion such as single vehicle accidents (SVA), cracked windscreens, flat tyres, lights, undercarriage and overhead damage.The Allianz Global Assistance rental vehicle excess insurance product that Tripcover sells, provides cover for excess reimbursement. So if there is damage to the rental vehicle and you are charged an excess/liability amount by the rental company, you can submit a claim to be reimbursed for the excess amount you were charged.

3. Who underwrites Tripcover?

Tripcover insurance is underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 (Incorporated in Australia) trading as Allianz New Zealand

4. How do I make a claim?

To find out more about claims visit our claims tips page or call New Zealand Customer Service: 0800 630 117

5. Can I cancel my policy any time before I travel?

Tripcover's 14 Day Money Back Guarantee - If you decide that you do not want this policy, you may cancel it within 14 days after the issue of your Certificate of Insurance and Policy Wording, simply call 0800 630 117 or email us at email us at email @ and we can cancel your policy and refund your credit card. You will be given a full refund of the premium you paid, provided you have not started your journey and you do not want to make a claim or to exercise any other right under the policy.

6. Can I use Tripcover for campervans?

Yes on vehicles up to 4.5 Tonne and up to $6000 excess(depending on age) plus SUVs (4x4) up to 12 seater minibuses.

7. Does the policy cover all drivers on the car rental agreement?

The policy covers all the eligible aged, authorised drivers (sometimes rental companies includes spouces) or drivers that are listed on the rental agreement.

8. Can I purchase a policy for a single day?

Yes - you do not need to buy a minium number of days.

9. I am from overseas, can I use your site to reduce my excess in New Zealand?

Yes, you can purchase our domestic policy. New Zealanders and overseas visitors that are renting a car or campervan in New Zealand can be covered

10. What happens if I need to modify my policy?

To modify your policy call the following phone number 0800 630 117 quoting your policy number that is on your certificate of insurance emailed to you. Alternatively you can email us at email @ and we can cancel your existing policy and you can take out a new policy.

11. How much does Tripcover cost?

Our just launched rates are suited to long and short term rentals. Our rates reduce as the number of rental days increase. Another great advantage to using Tripcover is that you can buy a policy for a single day. For more on rates go to our products page.

12. Does the policy cover damage including windscreens, multi & single vehicle accidents (SVA), tyres, lights, & undercarriage?

Yes our policy covers the excess fees including: cracked windscreens, headlights and tyres (WHT) and single vehicle accidents (SVA), multi vehicle damage, overhead and undercarriage damage.

13. What payment methods does Tripcover accept?

We only accept Visa and Mastercard and also Paypal on our website however you can also use our client service call centre on 0800 630 117. All rates are in NZ dollars.

14. Are there any location restrictions?

The Domestic policy can be used anywhere throughout New Zeland for New Zealanders and overseas visitors. Our International policy covers Australia and Worldwide or in your local suburb with no expectations for you to "travel". However there may be limitations as per your rental agreement in driving on unsealed roads or in snow fields for example.

15. What insurance do I need when renting a car?

In New Zealand most car rental companies include CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) with an excess liability of up to $6000. Car rental companies don't use the word "insurance" so it is called CDW. The car rental companies offer excess reduction at between $22 to $35 per day at pickup, at their rental desk. However, in the event of an accident your credit card will be charged by the car rental company and you then claim the reimbursement from Allianz Global Assistance. WE cover this excess liability

16. Single and Multi trip cover?

When you use Tripcover you are only covered for the duration of your rental agreement with the car rental company. For every rental agreement you get you will need another Tripcover policy. We do not have Multi Trip / Annual cover at present.

17. Why buy from Tripcover and not at the car rental desk?

Our policy is a lot cheaper, covers all of your eligible aged drivers on the rental agreement and also covers the vehicle body damage, theft including windscreens, overhead and undercarriage damage, single and multi vehicle damage. You can also get a 5% discount if you use your NZ frequent flyer number (7 digits).

18. Can I reduce my excess to $0?

Yes you can reduce your excess liability of $4000, $6000 down to $300 or $0.

See our products page: Products

19. Does your policy cover Roadside assistance and key loss?

Not specifically, as it just depends if these items come under the excess liability that the car rental companies slug you with. If so then the policy will cover it too.

20. Does your policy cover Admin & Loss of Use Fees ?

Not specifically or in short no, as it just depends if these items come under the excess liability of the car rental companies.

21. Does the policy offer 3rd Party comprehensive cover?

Third part comprehensive is handled by the car rental company as part of your rental and at no extra cost to you. However it is the excess from third party damage and the damage that you do to the vehicle that you rent, that the policy is covering.
Live Chat Software